To accomplish a good cardio-vascular workout all you really need is a good pair of running shoes. Most cardio-vascular exercise needs little or no third party apparatus to help you accomplish your routine. Running, dancing, walking can all be done with no equipment (well, if dancing, then maybe some music would help). Other forms of cardio are step, circuit training, bike riding, swimming, aerobics and more…
With most exercise you should always remember to warm up first and cool down afterwards. This means gently stretching and moving your muscles to start off with. Suddenly moving into full exercise without building up first will cause muscle and joint problems such as stiffness and cramps. Ease yourself into it. After you exercise, the cool down is basically gently moving the muscles and joints to stretch and relax, as your body returns to its normal pace. It also increases blood flow to your muscles after your heart has settled down to a more normal rate.
Make sure you have a good pair of running shoes. The technology that is put into shoes these days is well researched and designed to reduce shock to the feet, ankles, knees and back. So don’t skimp on these; you get what you pay for! To check out all the different running shoes that Amazon has to offer, click here.
Before you start your run, be sure to warm up first. Start with a brisk walk ensuring that you move your arms vigorously gradually breaking into a slow jog. It is better to run at a speed to which you can still converse. If you find yourself losing breath, slow your pace down until you’ve recovered. If you are a novice runner try running and walking, until you can hold your run for 15 minutes.
Now increase the length and time of your run by a couple of minutes every other time you hit the road or treadmill, until you can run for 30 minutes without stopping. Try to increase your run time by 10% each week, remember not to over do it and don’t forget to cool down at the end of each by slowing down gradually. When your run is complete stretch your legs for approximately 30 seconds per muscle, hamstring, hip flexor, calf, and thigh. It is also a good idea to stretch your upper back, shoulders, and arms as they can sometimes cramp or get tight from the constant running pose in the upper body.
Cycling is one of the best ways to get a good cardio-vascular workout. First of all, if you are riding on the roads safety is paramount, always use the appropriate safety equipment when road riding. You can stay fit by riding a bike to work, most people work within a five mile radius of there place of work, which is a perfect distance for a bike ride. Exercise bikes can be used in a variety of ways, general riding for specified length of time, this is like going for a bike ride with out the dangers of road riding and the weather. Warm up riding you can use an exercise bike for warming up the legs before a leg workout. Also exercise bike classes, these classes are taken by an instructor, who will put you through various levels of pace, quite like a circuit training exercise with a bike.
You may find it surprising to find that riding a bike five miles 3 times per week will improve your heart rate, your posture, skin and weight control. Some even say that riding and running are great ways of relieving stress. To see all the exercise bike options that Amazon has to offer, click here.
You can put together your own cardio raining routing in the gym, if you have a problem with this then the staff on hand will write one for you and show you how to achieve your goal. Try to make your cardio last between a half an hour to an hour to start. Add 10-15 minutes to that time to stretch! A good start point for cardio is always a light run or jog.
This is a sample cardio workout will work for a person of medium fitness, however adjust the times and pace according to your fitness levels. If you have any medical issues or are unsure, please talk to a doctor before starting any new workout routine.
- Run at a light pace for 20 minutes, start off at a walking pace and gradually move to a run, this helps you get warmed up and the blood pumping.
- Rowing machine- set the rowing machine for a countdown time of 15 minutes or keep a check on your watch or the clock. Start off with a slow rowing motion to get the pace up, maintain this steady pace throughout the full 13 minutes and use the 2 minutes to slow the pace down.
- Move immediately on to exercise bike take a stead paced ride for 12 minutes with a sprint finish for the remaining 3 minutes.
- After the exercise bike move directly on to the step climber for a period of 15 minutes climbing on a light level to get the legs going. Try to move at a swift pace for the full 15 minutes as this is the last of the leg work you will be doing.
- When you have completed the step climber, move onto the abs bench for some crunches. 4 sets of crunches to failure is your target for this exercise. Try twisting your body and touching your left knee with your right elbow and then do the same for the other side.
- The last exercise in this quick cardio workout is the leg raise apparatus. Bring your knees up to your chest for 3-4 sets for as many reps as possible (failure)
After the completion of this cardio workout, remember to do a full cool down by stretching the muscles. The full workout should take you around 1 hour 20 minutes.
As always, if you want to learn more about which Cardio products that may help you with your cardio journey, checkout all of the great equipment and accessories Amazon has to offer here.